Whether you’re a public sanitation manager or an entrepreneur in business for yourself, you’re probably asking yourself, “How much does a side loader garbage truck cost?”
The answer to this question depends on the features you’re looking for, the age and condition of the unit, and how many trucks you intend to buy or rent.
Features, condition, and number of units
Any or all of the following factors can affect the amount you pay for your garbage truck fleet:
- Vehicle features: Including the unit’s load capacity, lift capacity, arm reach, method of control (such as joystick), and maneuverability. Work lights, camera systems, and advertising decals can also affect the amount you pay.
- Age and condition: You can find preowned trucks on the market for less than $100,000. However, as with any used vehicle, it’s important to consider not only the buying price but the cost of maintaining the unit as well. As for new trucks, an outright purchase can easily top $300,000.
- Number of trucks you intend to buy: Your organization may qualify for certain discounts, depending on how many units you intend to buy or rent.
Renting versus purchasing
After investigating your options, you may want to consider the advantages of side loader waste rental solutions versus purchasing garbage trucks. These include:
- Potential savings: Going with a rental arrangement may spare your organization from significant upfront expenses, while still allowing you to use the latest equipment.
- The benefits of “try before you buy”: Using refuse trucks for rent allows you to determine which type of unit will best suit your needs. For example, a model that works well in a small town with wide roads may not be ideal for a large city with narrow streets.
- Zero maintenance costs: Freeing a sizable chunk of your operating funds to invest in other priorities.
- The option to either purchase or walk away: If you find that the vehicle meets your needs, then you might want to enter into a garbage truck rent to purchase program. If not, then once the rental period is over, you’re free of further obligations.
- Streamlined operational simplicity: By renting your truck, you avoid the hassles that come with costly financing programs and extended wait times. Simply run your route, collect your revenues, and go about your daily business.
Still have questions about garbage truck costs and options? Our experts have the answers you need. Contact us today for more information. We look forward to hearing from you.