The advantages of using a terminal tractor (also known as a yard truck or yard spotter truck) are many. They include:
- Reduced risk of collisions on company property
- Greater speed and efficiency in moving trailers from one cargo bay to the next
- Improved safety for your employees and contractors
- Fewer resources expended in training workers
Terminal Tractors – Designed to Do One Job and Do It Very Well
In times past, OTR drivers were expected to deliver freight to a distribution center and stick around to move the trailer from one cargo bay to another. This method worked okay in the days when most distribution centers were limited in size.
However, distribution centers have experienced explosive growth over the past few decades, thanks in part to the growth of retail giants like Amazon and Walmart. This has created multiple problems for warehouse owners and managers, since traditional semi tractors were never intended for intra-facility use due to their size and complexity.
Terminal tractors were created to meet this challenge. They’re distinguished from traditional OTR trucks because of:
- The compact size of their wheelbase – which allows them to make tight turns in small spaces.
- The unique configuration of their operator cabs – which are designed to accommodate a single person and present a smaller visual profile.
- The type of engine they use – typically a diesel power plant intended for use at low speeds and over short distances.
- Increased visibility available to the operator – terminal tractors have wraparound windshields and spacious windows that offer a 360° view from inside the cab.
- Auto-locking kingpin couplers – that eliminate the need for the driver to get in and out of the truck to connect and disconnect trailer components.
- Simple controls – such as automatic transmissions with pushbutton controls.
- User-friendly design – for example, terminal tractors have rear doors that allow the operator to access the semi-trailer by simply turning around and walking out of the cab.
Why Yard Truck Rental Is Better Than Buying
One way to enjoy the advantages of terminal tractors without the expense of outright ownership is to take advantage of our terminal tractor for rent program. It offers the following benefits:
- Flexible rental terms – from a few weeks to multi-month and rent-to-purchase options that allow you to build equity towards purchase.
- Freedom from costly repairs or replacement parts – we are responsible for any repairs beyond routine maintenance.
- The ability to meet unexpected, temporary, or short-term needs – perfect for distribution centers that see a surge in business during the holiday season or other peak periods.
These features are similar to those of our garbage truck rental program that has proven so popular among our customers.
Get in touch with us today to learn more about the advantages of instant yard spotter truck rental. We are proud to partner with Autocar, an industry leader in terminal truck manufacturing.