At Big Truck Rental, we understand what it takes to keep our industry moving forward. A big part of that growth is due to our essential workers. We want to shine some light on those special people who have continued to push through during COVID-19 and all of the hard times that have come with this new normal.
For this week’s Essential Worker Spotlight, we would like to introduce you to Johnny Hohlwein. Johnny is a driver for Orion Waste Solutions. Get to know more about Johnny below!
- What company do you work for, how long have you been there, and what is your title?
- Orion Waste Solutions, April will be 16 years, I’m a driver
- Tell us a little about yourself-family, hobbies, interests, etc
- I have been happily married for 21 years to my best friend. I have three beautiful daughters and six wonderful grandchildren. In my spare time, I love listening to music and occasionally playing the drums and acoustic guitar.
- What is a typical work day like for you?
- A typical work day for me is not typical. I do my best to help pout in any way that best promotes a smoothly functional work flow, not just for myself but for my co-workers as well. One day I could be riving an ASL or FEL, another I could drive a container delivery truck. Which ever job is needed to be completed, I’m on it.
- What’s the most rewarding thing about your job?
- The most rewarding thing about my job is when a customer flags me down and says, “I’m sorry to bother you but I want to say thank you and I appreciate what you do, I know you don’t get that often and you deserve that!” When customers say that, it inspires me to work that much harder.
- Have you every worked on or with a BTR truck?
- Yes, I have operated a FEL and ASL BTR truck. Each time, the vehicle has performed above expectations and I look forwards to driving a BTR truck in the future.
- Anything else you want to share?
- Thank you for this opportunity to share my experience and for the recognition of an essential worker, I am humbled. When on route, I am always observant of my surroundings. On one occasion, there was an elderly gentleman that fell while bringing in his trash cart to the curb prior to my arrival. I assisted him by providing first aid and contacted emergency services to tend to him. He suffered injuries that required supplies from my first aid kit that I keep. I stayed with him until the ambulance arrived. Over my career, there have been several occasions which I have just jumped into assist or complete tasks without being asked or to look for recognition. My general manager knows that I just get things handled. Thank you.
From everyone at Big Truck Rental, we wanted to say thank you to Johnny Hohlwein and the entire team at Orion Waste Solutions. We can’t thank you enough for your hard work and dedication to our communities.